Thursday, January 15, 2009

Are you a good citizen?

Is everything you do, legal?

and,

Do you like it?

"Everything I Want to Do is Illegal" by Joel Salatin at AcresUSA, was brought to my attention the other day.

I want to dress my beef and pork on the farm where I’ve coddled and raised it. But zoning laws prohibit slaughterhouses on agricultural land. For crying out loud, what makes more holistic sense than to put abattoirs where the animals are? But no, in the wisdom of Western disconnected thinking, abattoirs are massive centralized facilities visited daily by a steady stream of tractor trailers and illegal alien workers.

But what about dressing a couple of animals a year in the backyard? How can that be compared to a ConAgra or Tyson facility? In the eyes of the government, the two are one and the same. Every T-bone steak has to be wrapped in a half-million dollar facility so that it can be sold to your neighbor. The fact that I can do it on my own farm more cleanly, more responsibly, more humanely, more efficiently, and in a more environmentally friendly manner doesn’t matter to the government agents who walk around with big badges on their jackets and wheelbarrow-sized regulations tucked under their arms.

So goes life on the farm. And you thought farmers were independent! Far from it.

I don’t ask for a dime of government money. I don’t ask for government accreditation. I don’t want to register my animals with a global positioning tattoo. I don’t want to tell officials the names of my constituents. And I sure as the dickens don’t intend to hand over my firearms. I can’t even use the "U" word.

On every side, our paternalistic culture is tightening the noose around those of us who just want to opt out of the system — and it is the freedom to opt out that differentiates tyrannical and free societies.

How a culture deals with its misfits reveals its strength. The stronger a culture, the less it fears the radical fringe. The more paranoid and precarious a culture, the less tolerance it offers.


His sentiments echo Ms. Xs' thoughts on Civilized Societies. Responsible societies are not civilized.

Responsible dog breeders are not much different from farmers. Everything you want to do just might be a violation. Oh, you'll opt out, you say? You might like your AKC inspector now, but if he becomes a government agent, you too will play by their rules.

And you'll like it.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment